Now that Microsoft has reneged on their unlimited storage plans and downgraded their free plans where is the best deal for free cloud storage?
This week Microsoft announced that they would be scaling back both their unlimited storage monthly for Microsoft Office 365 subscribers as well as free plans for One Drive subscribers on their blog. If you subscribed to the free plan you are reduced to 5 GBs of storage from the previous 15 GBs.
This is a perfect opportunity to look at the other major free offerings to compare. There are many options but we have chosen the some of the biggest names in cloud storage.
1. Dropbox – still the industry leader for compatibility across all platforms but makes you work a little for your storage.
- Works with Linux, Blackberry as well as Windows, Mac OS X, iOS and Android.
- 2 GB free storage.
- 250 MB for taking a tour
- 500 MB for each friend who signs up – up to 16 GB
- 3 GB for enabling the camera upload feature
2. Amazon Cloud Drive – Cloud storage optimized for just photos and videos
- 5 GB of free storage
- Up to 2000 Photos
- Free music storage included for up to 250 songs.
- Amazon and iOS apps available as well as OS X and Windows.
3. Google Drive - If you use Google services or live in the Android ecosystem then this is a perfect cloud storage add on.
- 15 GB of storage with a Gmail, Google Calendar or YouTube account
- Storage is shared across all Google accounts
- Lower resolution picture or video upload option does not count against your storage caps.
- Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, Presentations, Drawings and shared Google Drive documents don’t count against your storage caps.
4. Mega – Free cloud storage for the security conscious.
- Anything you store on Mega can only be opened by you as you hold the encryption key.
- 50 GB of free storage
- Works with Linux, Windows, OS X, Chrome and Firefox as well as iOS, Android, Windows Phone and Blackberry.
5. Box – The oldest cloud storage app of the 5, founded in 2005. Primarily for business but with personal storage options.
10 GB of free storage
- Max file size of 250 MB is not optimal for videos
- Apps for Windows phones, Android, iOS and Blackberry
- Plug ins for editing Microsoft Office or Google Docs in Box.
- Apps to link Microsoft Office directly to Box.
Overall if you are looking at free cloud storage there are a lot of good options. In the end the right option really depends on what you are storing, how much storage you need and how important security is to you.